Your Guide Through Domestic Relations
Any type of family law issue can be challenging. Whether you are dealing with divorce, a custody battle or a paternity dispute, you are facing a challenging legal journey. It is critical to have a guide on this journey to help you along the difficult path and to get the results you need.
At Scott & Aplin LLC, we have a wealth of experience handling all types of family law matters. From our home office in Fort Wayne, Indiana, we provide strong advocacy and valued counsel for clients throughout Allen County. For decades, our partner attorneys have helped clients through the challenges of family law.
Comprehensive Legal Service
Our lawyers represent clients in family law matters that include:
- Divorce: We can protect your financial and personal interests in all aspects of dissolution of marriage or separation, including the division of assets and debts.
- Parenting plans: Our lawyers can work with you to help establish a parenting plan that will work for you and enable you to maintain the relationship with your children.
- Support: We handle child support and spousal support to make sure your financial interests and the interests of your children are protected.
- Paternity: For many separating couples, it is critical to establish paternity to determine parenting plans and support issues. Our lawyers can help you through the process and protect your rights.
- Modifications: When circumstances change for one or both parties after a divorce is finalized, it is often necessary to modify some details of the divorce order to accommodate these changes. Our lawyers can help you seek modifications or contest a modification request.
Because our firm handles such a wide range of different legal areas, we are able to see potential problems and pitfalls that other, more narrowly focused, law firms might miss. One example is the intersection between divorce and bankruptcy. Since we also handle bankruptcy matters, our attorneys can provide you with sound counsel regarding when and how to file bankruptcy in relation to your divorce.
Although the traditional courtroom battle is a common scenario for many divorce proceedings, it is not the only way. For more people than ever, a preferred approach is to resolve the contested issues in a divorce in a more amicable way, without the public, contentious nature of the divorce courtroom.
Our lawyers have a wealth of experience and knowledge when it comes to helping clients through the mediation process in divorce. We will protect your interests while we help you resolve the various issues in your divorce in an amicable setting. Whether you are going through a court-ordered mediation or want outside mediation services, we can help you work toward a dissolution agreement that will be acceptable to the court and equitable for you.